André Knottnerus was appointed chairman of the Council in May 2010.
He began his career as a GP in Amsterdam, where he was also attached to VU University Amsterdam. He studied epidemiology at Maastricht University, obtaining his doctorate in 1986 with a thesis on the evaluation of diagnostic tests. He was appointed Professor of General Practice there in 1988 and has published a great deal on primary care, public health and quality of care. More than 60 young scientists have obtained their doctorates under his supervision.
Prof. A. Knottnerus currently chairs the 'Supervision and responsibility' project.
Additional positions held by Prof.dr. J.A. Knottnerus (2014):
- Professor of General Practice, Maastricht University
- Chairman, Netherlands School for Primary Care Research (CaRe)
- Vice-chair supervisory board International Primary Care Research Leadership Programme, University of Oxford, UK
- Editor-in-chief of the Journal of Clinical Epidemiology
- Member of Scientific Advisory Board, Stichting Instituut GAK (social security support institute)
- Member of Board, CORPUS, ‘Journey through the human body’
- Member of Supervisory Committee, Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM)
- Member of Supervisory Board, Adelante (Limburg rehabilitation care)
- MemberNIAS-Lorentz Advisory Board
- Member of Advisory Board, EMGO Institute for Health Care and Research, VU University Medical Centre
- Member of Board, Stichting Bio-Wetenschappen en Maatschappij (Bioscience and Society Foundation)
- Member of Forum A tot Z, Dutch Reading & Writing Foundation
- Member of Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW)
- Member of Royal Netherlands Society of Sciences (KHMW)
- Honorary member of the Dutch Health Council
- Member/Chairman of various ad hoc advisory and appraisal committees, national and international review committees, Supervisory Boards of chairs of study.